Monday, December 27, 2010

Savory waffles

     I liked waffles but they always are sweet and also almost always have eggs.I felt the need to make them more than just a breakfast dish.The need to give them more variety and make my waffle maker more usable.So the new variety was born which was savory!! I made them in various ways and each time they were a hit with everyone.So here is one which I make very often for breakfast as well as for dinner too when I am not keen on a full dinner and a quick fix spicy treat.Enjoy my invention!!

Savory waffles-Indian flavours
Semolina                             1 cup
chick pea flour{optional}  1/4 cup
yoghurt                                1/4 cup
boiled corn                         1/2 cup
chopped capsicum                1/2 no
chopped onion                     1 no
chopped chillies                    1 tsp
chopped coriander                2 tbsp
chilli powder                         1/2 tsp
hot spice/garam masala          1/4 tsp
hing                                       1/8 tsp
oil                                         1 tbsp
Fruit salt/baking powder        1 tsp/1/2 tsp
salt to taste
Method
Mix semolina with curd and all the vegetables ,spices and oil.Add water to get a thick cake like batter.Keep for 30 mins.Adjust the consistency and add the fruit salt or baking powder.Mix well.Heat the waffle iron.With a brush apply butter and pour a big ladle full of batter and close.Let it cook and about 4-5 mins later try and open the waffle maker.If it is cooked, it would open.When cooked, the waffle is golden and crisp.Apply butter and serve it with spicy chutney of your choice.I serve it with tamarind,green or peanut chutney.Tastes yummmmmy.Enjoy my innovation as breakfast, as a snack or give it to kids in their lunch box  or make it your quick fix dinner!

4 comments:

  1. Hi,

    Tried this with my brand new waffle maker and the veg. waffles were much more than savoury! My husband and little son could not hide thier anticipation as they waited for the next batch of waffles, each time their plate was empty! The plate was always empty before I could take a picture :) Thanks, Ruchi.

    Warm regards,
    Hetal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Hetal, am happy they came out well.Enjoy and thanks for the compliment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey!!!

    I had it for the first time and its a definite Yum Yum!!!! I LOVED it!!! I have yet to make it but as I saw its pretty easy!

    Thanx mate!!!! Keep this awesomeness going :)))

    Srishti

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Srishti for being so regular in trying out my recipes!!

    ReplyDelete