Friday, July 15, 2011

Vegetable strata

        I had never heard of a strata and when I came across it, the very next thing I was doing is cooking it up with the hard bio multigrain bread that lay in my bread basket.Looked up at all the things that lay in my kitchen.Then I had to try this without eggs as husband does not eat them.Strata is an Italian delicacy and is eaten mainly as a breakfast dish.It has bread, vegetables, meat,milk, eggs and cheese.The best part of the dish is that it is prepared at night and baked next day.I tried my own mixture and I did have good results. Now I have a great recipe in which I can old bread or breads I do not like  :) And my family gets all the nutrition they deserve in a one pot baked dish.

Serves- 4 people
Ingredients
Bread chopped                           6-8 slices
Broccoli florets                          300 gms
Bell peppers chopped                1 no
chopped tomatoes                      2 nos
sliced mushrooms                      100 gms
Chopped onions                        1 no
Chopped garlic                          1 tbsp
Cream spinach                           400 gms
(or Spinach crushed+cream)
Milk                                          1 cup
Italian seasonings                      1 tsp
Chilli flakes                               1 tsp
Olive oil                                    2 tbsp
Cornflour/flour                         1 tbsp
Cheese grated                           200 gms
Salt to taste

                             
Method
Grease a 12"x10" pan with butter.
Put the chopped bread pieces on it.
Heat oil, add the garlic, saute and add the chilli flakes and onions and saute.
Put in the vegetables and Italian seasoning.
Put these on the bread and spread well.
Mix milk ,cream spinach ,cornflour/flour and 50 gms cheese well.Pour it on to the dish.
Cover and keep in the refrigerator overnight.
Next morning, cover with more cheese and bake in a pre heated oven at 200 deg for 30-40 mins till the cheese has turned golden brown and the dish looks cooked.
Cool for 10 mins.Cut into 4 big pieces and serve immediately.
Enjoy hot and cheesy vegetable starta.

No comments:

Post a Comment